So I’ve heard via the twittersphere that Satan never hides the Law, only the Gospel.
It is a contextless statements, like any tweet, so I don’t know if there is some salvageable nuance that got lost in tweeting. But as it stands, it is utter nonsense.
- Satan does not work to make people think that abortion is OK and should be legal?
- Satan does not work to make people believe that marriage should include relationships between two people of the same sex?
- Satan does not work to make people think that prison is civilized and execution is not?
OK, that last one might not be as self-evident to all Christians, but the point is still obvious. We all know quite well that Satan works to hide the moral law.
He does this for two reasons (at least)
- He doesn’t want people to feel sinful so that they can be convicted and begin to desire forgiveness.
- He wants people to refuse to submit to Christ.
You will notice that the first reason fits into a “law-gospel” paradigm. The second reason, however, is also true, and it points out that the Moral Law is commanded by Christ. Jesus is a King who forbids murder and homosexuality and many other practices. The Great Commission states that we are to teach all nations to obey everything Jesus commanded because he has been given all authority in heaven and on earth. When Satan successfully disciples nations to go the opposite way, he is warring against Christ’s kingdom.